NEWSLETTER ARTICLE GUIDELINES
Members are invited to submit articles for publication in our newsletter.
FORMAT FOR ARTICLES
- Length: Articles 500-1,200 words; Announcements 75-250 words
- Double-space to provide room for editing
- Indent paragraphs
- Do not right justify
- Submit typed copy as an e-mail attachment
- Check punctuation and spelling, particularly of names
STYLE OF SUBMISSIONS
- Use an active voice “We have all experienced...” rather than a passive voice “An experience that has been had by all of us...”
- Use short sentences and short paragraphs. Avoid loading sentences with unnecessary words.
- In general, strive to make your points as briefly as possible, with each word adding something.
- Avoid clichés (“like a ton of bricks”), slang (“humungous”), and hyperbole (“the worst problem we all face...”).
- Document and reference key assertions with which others may disagree (“(Farrell, 1933)” “Unified School District enrollment data”).
- As you prepare your article or announcement, ask yourself:
What is my goal — to inform, to persuade, to motivate, to challenge, to respond?
What exactly is this article about? What are the two or three key points I wish to make?Who is my audience? How much knowledge of this subject do I assume my readers have?
- For announcements, please make sure you include all necessary information: what, why, when, where, how, and who.
- Before submitting anything, please read it aloud, making sure it says what you want it to say as clearly as possible.
Submit articles to email@example.com